[XeTeX] Font nuisances

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Mon Oct 11 15:14:59 CEST 2010

David Perry wrote:

> Yes, I just realized that my example from the fontspec manual was not
> exactly parallel to the situation I have.  However, doing it as Gareth
> suggests generates all sorts of nasty error messages.
>
> I just tried specifying the bold etc. by font file names; no errors,
> but no bold in the document either.
>
> I'll study this more tomorrow when my brain is working better.

Well, David, I hope your brain is working better by now ... I'm not sure
if /mine/ is, but, since I don't have your original post, but I /do/
have the Bergamo Std font here, I just loaded it like this:

\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\setmainfont{Bergamo Std}

The bold and italics work fine, as in:

Here's an example of Bergamo Std font\dots

\dots and here's some \textbf{bold text}.

\textit{Difficult firefly.}

{\bfseries\itshape Wow!}

Then, as an alternative to other workable solutions, I loaded a specific
size the "XeTeX" way:

\font\fred="Bergamo Std" at 60pt

used in the document as:

\centerline{\fred Hi!}