[XeTeX] Font nuisances

Gareth Hughes garzohugo at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 23:00:54 CEST 2010

David Perry wrote:
> This seems to be my day for font problems.
>
> 1. What is the correct way to specify a font in exact point size when
> running XeLaTeX?  (This is for the cover page of a book where \Huge
> isn't big enough.)  The LaTeX command \fontsize{60}{66pt} does not work
> -- it comes out much smaller than 60 pts, although there is no
> compilation error.

I'm not sure that thinking about the point size in absolute terms is all
that useful. If the body text is at 12pt, then something that is at 60pt
is five times bigger. I would use \addfontfeature{Scale=5} for a single
line of text, like a title. Otherwise, the package anyfontsize will
allow \fontsize{60pt}{66pt} to work.

> 2. Can anybody see what is wrong with the following?
>
> \fontspec[BoldFont={Bergamo Std},ItalicFont={Bergamo
> Std},BoldItalicFont={Bergamo Std}]{Cardo}

Yeah, you just declared the medium, upright font as bold and italic.
What you need is

\fontspec[BoldFont={Bergamo Std-Bold}, ItalicFont={Bergamo Std-Italic},
BoldItalicFont={Bergamo St-BoldItalic}]{Cardo}

> Cardo has no bold, italic, or bold italic versions, so I'm using Bergamo
> for the moment.
>
> I can confirm:
> a) all the fonts are installed in Windows font folder and can be used in
> a Word document
>
> b) the log file looks as though the family is being defined correctly
> (see extract below) yet nothing happens in the document when I issue
> \textbf{blah} and so forth.
>
> c) Cardo has TrueType outlines while Bergamo has CFF outlines; could
> this cause a problem?  (I wouldn't think so, but you never know.)

No, this makes no difference.

> Thanks - David

Gareth.