[XeTeX] Math italics with unicode-math.

Cole Leahy coleleahy at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 22:27:28 CEST 2010

I'm using Tex Live 2010. Here's the example I want to discuss.

\documentclass{article}
\RequirePackage{amsmath}
\RequirePackage{unicode-math}
\setmainfont{Linux Libertine O}
\setmathfont{xits-math.otf}
\setmathfont[range=\mathit/{latin, Latin, greek, Greek}]{Linux Libertine O}

\begin{document}
Transfinite induction will reveal that $\kappa$ is $\alpha$-Mahlo for each
$\alpha < \kappa$. We have proved elsewhere that $\kappa$ is 1-Mahlo, and
hence 0-Mahlo. If $\kappa$ is $\alpha$-Mahlo for all $\alpha$ below some
limit ordinal $\lambda < \kappa$, then $\kappa$ is $\lambda$-Mahlo by
definition.
\end{document}

My problem is that the latin, Latin, greek, and Greek characters are set in
XITS, not Libertine. Now fontspec issues the warning,

>fontspec Warning: Font 'Linux Libertine O' does not contain script 'Math'.

I guess Libertine isn't a math font. Nevertheless, similar markup seemed to
yield the desired result in June at <a href="
http://www.charlietanksley.net/philtex/the-unicode-math-package-for-xelatex-and-the-stix-fonts/">this
blog</a>. Has something changed dramatically since then?

I'm unwilling to abandon unicode-math. But I desperately want to use, within
math mode, Latin and Greek glyphs that were designed for text mode. Since
(as far as I know) mathspec is no longer compatible with unicode-math, I'm
not sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Cole