[XeTeX] fontspec infinitely recurses when there is no 'Latin' script in a font.

Michiel Kamermans pomax at nihongoresources.com
Wed Oct 6 10:18:13 CEST 2010

Hi all,

it appears the latest fontspec has a bug when it comes to loading fonts
that do not have an explicit OpenType "Latin" script entry; fontspec
will look for this data, cannot find it, and then defaults the script to
Latin before trying to access the font again. I can't find that entry,
defaults to Latin, and tries again and again until TeX decides it's had
enough of the recursion and kills itself.

An example of (one of the many) fonts this can be seen with is the GT
2000-01 font, found at http://www.l.u-tokyo.ac.jp/GT/downloads.html.
According to font forge this font also has a bad format 6 lookup table,
but that doesn't stop a single application from using it correctly
anyway, and the error generated by fontspec running until TeX is out of
memory seem to have nothing to do with cmap issues. Before updating TeX
Live on the old fontspec this font was loaded correctly, although
somewhat annoyingly I do not recall the exact fontspec version.

Was a fallback condition when no appropriate OpenType scripts are found
accidentally removed from 2.0? =)

- Mike "Pomax" Kamermans
nihongoresources.com