[XeTeX] Very nasty bug with accented greek capitals in some fonts (TL 2010)

Alexey Kryukov anagnost at yandex.ru
Tue Oct 5 20:26:02 CEST 2010

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 16:53:44 +0200
Tobias Schoel wrote:

> I can confirm this behaviour. Linux Libertine works ok. This seems to
> be a font bug.

I believe this is not a bug but rather the intended behavior. Since
Greek accented capitals are normally used only in titlecase, some font
designers map unaccented glyphs to the corresponding slots, while
contextual rules are used to replace them with accented variants when
followed by a lowercase letter. Thus the capitalization rules in
Greek are handled. Particularly I find this approach too extreme (and
actually wrong), but nevertheless it is quite popular.

Anyway, you can check if this is the case if you type several words
starting from an accented letter (instead of the accented letter alone)
and make sure contextual alternates are enabled.

--
Regards,
Alexey Kryukov <anagnost at yandex dot ru>

Moscow State University
Historical Faculty