[XeTeX] XeTeX in lshort

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 4 15:22:13 CEST 2010

>     TeX was developed as a  subset of SGML or if you wish clone, variant, etc.
>     TeX is  a declarative and procedural programming language. What is  more
>     important it is dynamic! That is it is possible to  change the definitions
>of the
>     macros used while the  program is running. Thereby giving you the ability
>to  change
>     the semantics of the command itself as well as the  semantics of the
>document structure!

TeX as a programming language is a derivative of LISP and in this sense it is
declarative,
though not functional. Now, a language that is procedural is (almost?) an
imperative
programming language and frankly I don't understand how an imperative language
can be
declarative at the same time. Also, informally speaking, when one says a
language is dynamic
or static, he/she refers to the type system of the language.

A.S.

Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, Greece