[XeTeX] word breaking in languages like telugu, sanskrit

Kattamuri Ekanadham eknath2k at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 05:09:13 CEST 2010

Long time ago Yves Codet  wrote ...

With XeLaTeX, if you use the package "polyglossia", hyphenation
patterns (included in the package "hyph-utf8") corresponding to the
language you select will be applied. For instance:

\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\setdefaultlanguage{sanskrit}
\newfontfamily\sanskritfont[Script=Devanagari]{Sanskrit2003}

I can see that "hyph-utf8" has patterns for several other Indian
languages:

http://www.tug.org/svn/texhyphen/trunk/hyph-utf8/tex/generic/hyph-utf8/patterns/tex/
which will be part of the next TeX Live. And Fran?ois will certainly
be willing to add support for those languages to his "polyglossia".

I am still unable to use polyglossia .. perhaps some version problem...
I am getting the following error... any advice?

LaTeX Warning: You have requested, on input line 20, version
               `2010/06/08' of package fontspec,
               but only version
               `2008/08/09 v1.18 Advanced font selection for XeLaTeX'
               is available.

! Undefined control sequence.
l.21 \ExplSyntaxOn