[XeTeX] Tables

Paul Isambert zappathustra at free.fr
Sun Oct 3 11:32:38 CEST 2010

  Le 03/10/2010 00:29, Mike Maxwell a écrit :
> On 10/2/2010 3:52 PM, Paul Isambert wrote:
>> And I'll add: printing a corpus with annotations that don't show up but
>> are fed to LuaTeX for statistics, and returned as tables. What I'm doing
>> right now.
>
> Interesting.  We're producing grammars.  They're XML (if you want to
> mark structure, use XML!),

Yes, probably. But my knowledge of XML is not very good, although I
doesn't seem very complicated.

> and they get converted to XeLaTeX for typesetting (if you want to
> typeset, use LaTeX!).

No, use plain TeX :)

> Automatically produced tables--which I gather is what you're producing
> from your corpus--might also suffer from that problem; I'm hoping you
> may have come up with a solution.  Or are they all short and narrow
> enough that you know in advance that they'll fit?

They're short, so they fit. Anyway, even if I had a solution, it would
be plain TeX. By default, plain TeX tables can break across pages, since
they're just lists of horizontal boxes (although it doesn't mean headers
are automatically inserted).

> (BTW, did you mean they were sent to R for statistics, rather than
> LuaTeX?  Or does LuaTeX allow you to send things to Lua internally?)
By Lua, I mean LuaTeX. The statistics are quite simple, and descriptive.
So I make some basic arithmetic operations with the Lua side of LuaTeX,
without sending anything anywhere. I guess you could write more
complicated stuff, though.

Best,
Paul