[XeTeX] XeTeX in lshort

Philipp Stephani st_philipp at yahoo.de
Sat Oct 2 20:32:31 CEST 2010

Am 30.09.2010 um 16:01 schrieb Keith J. Schultz:

> With Tex et al. the structure/formatting commands are in document verbatim.
> When using TeX et al. you are more aware of what you are doing

I don't know if that is really true. It's relatively easy to find out the current style of a character/paragraph in a Word document.

> The only thing Tex et al. gives you is more flexibility and makes it easier to change
> style and page metrics as compared to Word.

Why that? You can edit page metrics in Word without much effort, and you can also have elaborate document templates.

> Most users in Word do not bother with creating custom styles and enforcing their
> use. Even when groups have to collaborate and have to adhere to a style.
> The problems start when they try to bring things together. Now, if they had taken
> the time to create a style and distributed to the others there would be problems, if
> the format had to be changed.
>
> With TeX et. al. you basically use styles naturally and adhere to them.

I don't agree. Why it should be more natural to write \section instead of \Large\bfseries. That's not more natural than applying the first-level heading style to a paragraph in Word.

> But, in a group if somebody does not or decides to start modifying commands you get
> similar problems as above. I seen happen all to often and trying top get a decent
> document was one hell of a job and the end the end document was put together piecemeal.

This seems to be more of a project management problem, and not related to TeX or Word.