[XeTeX] XeTeX in lshort

Tobias Schoel liesdiedatei at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 1 08:25:20 CEST 2010

Hi,

of course, any document has structure and formatting, even plain
txt-files have. That's not the point. The point I made, and you wrote it
yourself:
- In TeX you explicitly  state the structure/format.

And going one step further:
  - In TeX you explicitly state the structure.
  - In TeX then you explicitly state the format.

Lean back from your long experience with typography and
computer-engineered publishing.

Then, look at TeX&Co. from the viewpoint of a teenager or twen who has
no interest in either of it and who has learned to use MS Office
(probably not even Office programs in general) from school, their
parents, whoever.

Then look at how such a teenager created a text document, maybe a
project documentation for school. Don't look at the resulting document,
look at the process of creating it.

What will you see? What should you see?

The best you can hope for reallistically, is, that he has written it all
down by hand before he touched the computer. Then you can at least
suppose, that he has created the content without considering formatting.
But probably also without considering structure.

TeX doesn't force you, to add any structure to documents. You can
copy&paste any txt-file to a tex-file, add
\documentclass{article}\begin{document}..\end{document} and do some
automatic character replacement for escape characters and you're done.
You can compile it and get a document, that has as less structure as the
txt-file.

But if you create a document sensefully with TeX, it's doubtlessly
better to _think_ structurally, while doing it. And that's what I'm
trying to say:

! Teach the children and students to think structurally!

They don't use headlines and bold faces to give their document
structure, they do it to give it Phluff, glamour, whatever. And when
they enter their first headline, section title or whatever special
element, they click at the little "bold"-symbol, then at the little
number and change it to 20, then at the "centering"-symbol. And then,
they think: that's not phluffy enough: lets click at "italics",
"underline" and make it "comic sans". Ah, no I hate that font, make it
Arial, ah no, make it back to times new roman. Hey, what about making it
symbol or windings?

Half an hour gone, nothing produced, nothing achieved than
children/student laughing about windings.

There is a difference between typing \section{...} and typing ... and
clicking at "bold". There even is a difference to typing ... and
clicking at "formats: section 1", because it carries different
information feedback to the writer.

To come to the end:

Sure, you can create documents in a structured way by using tools other
than tex&co., even by using ms office. But children and students can't.
And if you want children to do, ms office&co. won't let you. Use TeX to
demonstrate, to make clear as sky the difference:

structure.

Bye, Toscho.