[XeTeX] PDF/X-1a preflight & \special

Juan Acevedo juan.acevedo.juan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 21:51:24 CET 2010

Hello everyone

I have read and reread carefully the July thread started by Chris Yocum's "rather naive/dumb question" (as he put it), but I still feel the need to start this with a dumber query. Kindly excuse me.

I am preparing a PDF to go to press. It has to be PDF/X-1a compliant.

I found in the web a generous sample file by Eric Jeschke containing these lines:

-------------------
\special{pdf:docinfo <<
/Title (My Book)   % set your title here
/Author (Som Wan)       % set author name
/Subject (What Ever)          % set subject
/Keywords (Blah, Blah) % set keywords
/Trapped (False)
/GTS_PDFXVersion (PDF/X-1a:2001)
%/TrimBox [0.00000 9.00000 684.36000 585.00000]

}

\special{pdf:put @catalog <<
/OutputIntents [ <<
/Info (none)
/Type /OutputIntent
/S /GTS_PDFX
/OutputConditionIdentifier (lightningsource.com)
/RegistryName (https://www.lightningsource.com/)>> ] >>}
-------------------

Then I also found a line in the thread:

\special{pdf: put @pages /TrimBox[1 2 3 4]}

But using all this stuff, trying some modifications, is not helping me go through the preflight check. The following issues are complained about:

--Trimbox
--Date
--Document ID
--Trapped key: this won't work, no matter what I input above
--Compressed object streams: I only have two greyscale .pdf images in the book, inserted via \includegraphics
--PDF version is newer than 1.3: I am aware that there was a change of version with this year's TeX Live binaries, but I wonder if there is a way to change this setting and use 1.3 or at least to trick Acrobat into thinking that the file comes from 1.3

Does anyone have a successful \special setup for this? After beautifully creating the document with XeLaTeX, will be really have to resort to Acrobat to make the PDF compliant with the standard?

Thanks in advance
Juan