[XeTeX] Question about polyglossia and babel

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 10:51:01 CET 2010

When xelatex is building it's format file, it gets to loading latex.ltx.
That contains

\InputIfFileExists{hyphen.cfg}
>            {\typeout{===========================================^^J%
>                       Local configuration file hyphen.cfg used^^J%
> November 2010 10:03, Philip

There are two hyphen.cfg files in TL2010, one for babel and one for luatex.

/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/generic/babel/hyphen.cfg
> /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/luatex/hyph-utf8/hyphen.cfg

They're more or less the same file; the luatex one has some additions
specific to \ifx\directlua or \else.   Xelatex loads the first.  That's the
babel one, and that's where the "Babel <v3.8l>" announcement in the XeLaTeX
format comes from.

Dominik