[XeTeX] Hyphenated, transliterated Sanskrit.

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 18:24:53 CET 2010

Sanskritists have been using ṛ (r-underdot) for over a century.
Promulgating a new standard that changes this usage to r-undercircle is far
from being an obvious choice, in my view.  But we're irrevocably lumbered
with it now.  :-(  Though I note that most Sanskritists pay no attention to
the ISO standard, and continue with IAST, which has been standard in
professional journals and book publications since the nineteenth century.

Of course Hindi flap and Sanskrit vocalic-r have to be distinguished, but
the long-established uniform usage of Sanskritists, present in literally
thousands of publications, should have been given greater weight.

Most Sanskritists view m-overdot (for anusvāra) as obsolete usage, weakly
referential to the Nāgarī orthography, and now strongly deprecated.  Again,
it isn't used in any professional publications, and hasn't been for a
hundred years or more.

Those who write both transliterated Hindi and Sanskrit in the same
publication will be glad of the ISO standard, I suppose.

Typical standard's work: result of a committee that has a certain limited
logic to it, but pays not enough attention to usage amongst professional
groups, and consequently leaves nobody actually happy.

Dominik