[XeTeX] Problems with ArabXeTex

Christopher Braun chrbraun at web.de
Sun Nov 21 17:52:23 CET 2010

Dear list members,

For the critical edition of an Arabic manuscript I'm using ArabXeTex. I encountered several problems with this package:

1. I would like to use the nonvoc option, but the 'mansuub'-endings aN schould appear with the two fathas. How can I do this?

2. Another problem seems to be the hamza-writing after an alif at the end of the word. Here, there schould appear only two fathas without the supplementary alif in fullvoc-mode, in nonvoc-mode only the hamza. Did anyone experience problems with the contextual analysis of hamza already?

3. I'm using the Scheherazade-Font. Is it possible to set some words in boldface? How can I do this?

4. The critical edition should begin with a front page. For this, I would like to use another font. How can I change Arabic fonts in one document? Does anyone know a free thuluth-Font for Mac?

5. Would it be possible to begin the Arabic text at the end of the document (thus, using the normal direction of Arabic books) and simultaneously the German text at the beginning?

I'm sorry for all these questions.  Thank's a lot in advance for your help!

Best wishes,

Christopher Braun