[XeTeX] Hyphenated, transliterated Sanskrit.

Yves Codet yves.codet at sfr.fr
Sun Nov 21 10:12:41 CET 2010

Hello.

Le 20 nov. 2010 à 22:12, Arthur Reutenauer a écrit :

>> I'm really not sure what I'm getting as a result. It looks as if it's roman
>> script being hyphenated as if it were Devanagari. The initial a- of several
>> words, like arhasi, gets separated (a-rhasi), which might just about look
>> okay in Nagari, but not in romanisation. Am I actually getting the right
>> thing
>
>  You're indeed getting what the patterns say.  From what I read in
> hyph-sa.tex, the patterns allow breaks after any vowel (but not inside
> diphthongs), and forbids them before final consonants or consonant
> clusters; and that's about it.  It's certainly a debatable choice, but
> it does seem like the patterns really aim at mimicking the way (say)
> Sanskrit written using Devanagari is hyphenated.  You would have to take
> this up with Yves.

Debatable, I'm not sure :) Gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum. Personally I don't mind breaks such as a-rhasi. I know many prefer ar-hasi, but there are some books where you would find a-rhasi. On page 189 of Gray's edition of Vāsavadattā (Delhi, 1962), for instance, I can see: ...nirmu-kta..., ...ku-ṭṭimam.

So, for a start, I did exactly what Arthur described, I chose the easy way. But I can add rules allowing a break after the first consonant of a consonant cluster. If there are rules such as:
a1
r3h
you should get ar-hasi rather than a-rhasi without having to modify hyphenmins.

>> Why do I have to pretend that this is Devanagari (\devanagarifont)?
>
>  This is by design in polyglossia (see gloss-sanskrit.ldf).  You would
> have to take this up with François.  (And I'm the one responsible for
> integrating hyph-sa.tex into hyph-utf8.  Why does it seem like there is
> a French mafia around Sanskrit support in XeTeX? ;-)

:)

Dominik, I think you can write \sanskritfont, can’t you?

Best wishes,

Yves