[XeTeX] Biblatex and Biber UTF-8 file

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Nov 12 18:11:50 CET 2010

On Nov 12, 2010, at 10:38 AM, Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

> Dominik Wujastyk wrote:
>
>> There's an issue here, Phil, about where and how Karljurgen got his
>> distribution.  If he got it through the Ubuntu aptitude system, or
>> similar, then he'll have got the original first release of TL2010,
>> without any of the updates that have been issued since its first
>> release.  The Ubuntu built-in distro of TL doesn't get regular,
>> automatic updates.  Basically, if you get your TL through the
>> debian/aptitude pipeline, then you have one version of everything for a
>> year, until TL2011 comes out.
>>
>> Using tlmgr means unintalling the whole TeXlive system from Ubuntu -
>> using the aptitude interface.  Then you have to reinstall everything
>> again over the net (here
>> <http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html>).  It's not hard,
>> but it's a bit daunting for beginners.
>
> Hmm, maybe the TeX Live team need to be more pro-active in
> determining what can, and what cannot, be called "TeX Live".
> A user who gets TeX Live as a part of his O/S distribution
> should surely be entitled to believe that what he has is
> TeX Live, not some packager's variant thereof.
>
> ** Phil.

Howdy,

I'd guess it IS TeX Live and not a variant. The problem is that TeX Live 2010 was frozen well before distribution and packages have been updated since that time. Some of them bug fixes and needing necessary dependency updates too. Sorry for the tlmgr comment but I was thinking of a straight TeX Live distribution.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)