[XeTeX] IPA superscript diacritics

Kevin Russell Kevin_Russell at umanitoba.ca
Wed Nov 10 03:23:19 CET 2010

I've been using Acrobat 9.4 for Mac and Reader 9.1.2 for Mac (probably a
higher point-version of Reader on my office computer).

It seems to be a Mac thing rather an age thing.  I just dug out an old
XP laptop with Acrobat Reader *8*, and it behaved like you and Philip
described.

Fortunately, our blind students are using Windows.  I know for sure one
uses JAWS as his screenreader, and I suspect the others probably do as
well.  JAWS can be set up to deal with various Unicode characters
however they want (e.g., by reading out the Unicode character name), so
as long as the right characters are in the PDF, things should work.
Their problems with reading my PDF files came from *really* botched
tagging (post-XeLaTeX) -- I was incorrectly assuming that the magical
ASCII-translation problems I got on my Macs were a subset of the
problems they were getting.

Even though Reader works correctly under Windows, I don't suppose
there's any chance that the "accessibility" tools in the Windows version
of Acrobat are any better than the buggy, incoherent morass of
unuseability that exists in the Mac version of CS4.  :-(

Thanks everyone for helping me narrow down where this particular problem
was.

-- Kevin