[XeTeX] How to specify a strict leading space with XeTeX/fontspec and Memoir class?

stefano franchi stefano.franchi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 16:26:36 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 7:05 PM, Alan Munn <amunn at gmx.com> wrote:

> On Nov 8, 2010, at 4:03 PM, stefano franchi wrote:
>
>  I am just switching from Latex to XeLatex, and I cannot quite understand
>> how to force it to use a specific interline spacing (i.e. "leading") in
>> certain occasions.
>> More precisely:
>> I am using the memoir class, with a rather heavy customization.
>> At publisher demand,  I need to have all chapter titles, chapter numbers,
>> etc, in Times (or equivalent) at exactly 15pt  with  18pt leading
>> The fontsize command did the trick in memoir using Latex:
>>
>> \renewcommand*{\chaptitlefont}{\fontfamily{ptm}\fontsize{15}{18}
>> \selectfont}
>>

> You can use the basically the same command:
>
> \renewcommand*{\chaptitlefont}{\fontspec{Times}\fontsize{15}{18}
> \selectfont}
>

>> But I do not understand how to replicate the same behavior in XeLatex.
>>
>> I can create a 15 pt Times-like  font command with
>>
>>  \font\VIBSChapterTitleFont="TeX Gyre Termes:letterspace=3" at 15pt
>>

> This is really plain XeTeX syntax not XeLaTeX syntax; check the fontspec
> manual for the latex version.
> (although you don't need this for what you want to do.)
>
> Alan
>
> Thanks Alan.

I could not get the desired effect with a combination of XeTeX \font command
and Latex \fontsize.

Switching to fontspec's \newfontfamily plus \fontsize gave me what I need:

\newfontfamily\VIBSChapterTitleFont[LetterSpace=3]{TeX Gyre Termes}
\renewcommand*{\chaptitlefont}{\VIBSChapterTitleFont \fontsize{15}{18}
 \selectfont}

Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,

Stefano