[XeTeX] Font corruption (?) problem

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Sat Nov 6 20:49:53 CET 2010

Hello Karljurgen,

Sent from my iPad

On 07/11/2010, at 2:51 AM, "Karljurgen Feuerherm" <kfeuerherm at wlu.ca> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a peculiar problem that's driving me crazy.
>
> I'm using a MacBook Pro under Snow Leopard and MacTex, installed a few
> months back.
>
> I have a XeTeX source file (see below) which compiled fine, and
> produced a nice PDF. I then copied four lines from the PDF and pasted
> them into MS Word so I could run a character count.

Why use Word for the character count?
In a terminal, the wc command will do this, returning the number of lines, words and characters.
E.g.  wc myfile.tex  will give these numbers.
Or if your sources have lots of TeX macros, then copy from the PDF and paste into a TextEdit document, or into any text editor application and save as text.
Then run wc on that.

Just keep clear of Word, when you don't really need it.

> Word told me there
> was a problem (Bad Font) with the font (Linux Libertine O) and that it
> would try to disable the font.
>
> Thanks

Thank you for sharing this experience.
By the way, if Libertine is your font, and you are extracting text from PDFs, would you please check a problem that someone else reported recently. This was concerning ligatures not copying correctly; the ff fi fl ffl ffi ligatures would not paste as the separate letters, from Acrobat Reader as the PDF browser, but as capitals U, V, ... according to their glyph position in the Type1 font. This was using dvips+gs and the libertine.sty package, rather than XeTeX, but it would be good to have evidence that it works fine using other methods.

Hope this helps,

          Ross