[XeTeX] unicode-math testing

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Thu May 27 18:20:53 CEST 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 04:37:01PM +0100, Michael Lynch wrote:
> On 27/05/2010 05:55, Will Robertson wrote:
>
>     Dear all,
>
>     I am almost to release my long-delayed "unicode-math" package, but an issue has arisen that I don't know how to debug. It is only reproducible under Windows while using the Asana Math font; a different font or a different platform gives acceptable output.
>
>     The system being used is Windows Vista with:
>

>         This is XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.9995.1 (MiKTeX 2.8) (preloaded format=xelatex 2010.5.20)  25 MAY 2010 16:32
>

>     After selecting the maths font, the output is garbled; each glyph is off-by-one:
>

>     I've attached a minimal document with all the necessary files to reproduce this problem. Would anyone (especially with Windows) be able to try this out? Or is this a known problem that I've forgotten about?
>
>     -- Will

> Hi,
>
> I've just tested it on Windows 7 x64, with a fully updated MiKTeX 2.8
> (MiKTeX-XeTeX 2.8.3758 (0.9995.1 texlive svn 15079) (MiKTeX 2.8)).
>
> I recall having this exact problem before with Asana Math and (possibly) Neo
> Euler, but not Cambria Math.
>
> I removed the earlier installed version of unicode-math, and ran your test case
> and it now works fine for me. However, if I install the copy of Asana-Math.otf
> you provided locally and replace \setmathfont{Asana-Math.otf} with \setmathfont
> {Asana Math} (i.e. using the version from my Fonts folder instead) the problem
> returns and I get the output you had in your original email. I've also retested
> this with Cambria Math and Neo Euler (not using local copies, but from the
> Fonts folder), both of which work correctly.
>
> Hopefully this is of some use in diagnosing what's going wrong. If you'd like
> any further test cases run, let me know.

Looks like xetex is getting glyph indexes from one font file but loading
the actual glyph from another font. Checking the output of 'fc-list :
file' my reveal that you, or whoever is experiencing this, have several
version of the font accessible to xetex, if so, then removing all but
one can solve the issue.

Regards,
 Khaled

--