[XeTeX] Greek letterspacing with soul

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Tue May 25 17:12:08 CEST 2010

On 05/25/2010 09:37 AM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Mon, 24 May 2010 19:16:07 +0200 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez:
>> [...]
>> Is there any way to solve it?
>
> I got the error only after I enabled the hyphenation patters. This
> indicates that the problem are not spaces but hyphenation. The
> documentation of soul says that "Reconstruction failed" means that
> soul gots confused about the width of the sylables. The width is
> measured by the width of -. So this need to be set too. So
>
> \makeatletter
> \font\SOUL at tt="FreeMono-Normal"
> \setbox\z@\hbox{\SOUL at tt-}
> \SOUL at ttwidth\wd\z@
> \makeatother
>
> should do the job (I had to use another font for testing.)

Many thanks for your help. I knew that this happened when enabling
hyphenation patterns, but I had no idea how to solve it.

It works like charm.

I will report it the fix to the soul/soulutf8 developers. Of course,
giving you credit (because credit is due :-)).

> (And the second \makeatletter in my first posting was naturally
> simply a typo.)

This was my fault, because I simply copied and pasted the code, without
almost reading it. (I know that \makeatletter ends with \makeatother,
although I'm not sure what are they used for ;-).)

Many thanks again for your help,

Pablo