[XeTeX] Greek letterspacing with soul

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Mon May 24 18:06:09 CEST 2010

Am Mon, 24 May 2010 16:49:15 +0200 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez:

> On 05/24/2010 04:00 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> If you'd change your example to
>> [...]
>>
>> you might see in the LOG file twice:
>>
>> Missing character: There is no ν in font ectt1000!
>> Missing character: There is no ο in font ectt1000!
>> Missing character: There is no ῦ in font ectt1000!
>> Missing character: There is no ς in font ectt1000!
>
> Thanks for the reply, Peter.
>
> I get also those warnings if I put a dot before closing the \so command,
> but the text is printed.

Ah. Bingo. soul.sty defines the fix font \SOUL at tt
(\font\SOUL at tt=ectt1000) and use it in various places when analyzing
the input. And obviously one gets problems as soon as words ends
with glyphs not existing in the font as this leads to boxes of width
0 and so soul thinks that there is no longer something to process.

I can solve the problem with the euro sign by resetting the font to
latin modern typewriter with
\makeatletter \font\SOUL at tt="LMMono10-Regular"\makeatletter

With your greek characters you probably will need a greek fixed
width font.

--
Ulrike Fischer