[XeTeX] Greek letterspacing with soul

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Mon May 24 16:37:48 CEST 2010

On 05/24/2010 03:00 PM, Fr. Michael Gilmary wrote:
> Hi Pablo:
>
> I did a little experimenting with your sample ... and I'm not sure
> what's actually happening, but if I load /this/ preamble and change the
> polyglossia commands to what I've used before (although there may be
> reasons for what you've got), I get unusual results, too.
> [...]
>
> \newcommand\whitecomma{\textcolor{white}{,}}
> [...]
>
> You notice, I loaded a different font (I don't have yours) and loaded
> xltxtra --- which loads fontspec and xunicode as well. Now, I made the
> command \whitecomma because with this file, if there /isn't/ punctuation
> in the \so braces, nothing appears from the \so argument or after. So,
> the \whitecomma is to facilitate rendering the text, but making the
> punctuation "invisible".

Many thanks for your reply.

Just in case you want the font, it is freely available at
http://www.thessalonica.org.ru/en/theano.html.

\whitecomma is fine. A mandatory improvement would be that \whitecomma
would be zero-width (which I don't know whether it is possible).

> This may be a bad idea for various reasons, but it seems to work around
> the problem.

Which would be the reasons why the command is a bad idea?

Thanks for your help,

Pablo