[XeTeX] Greek letterspacing with soul

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon May 24 16:00:13 CEST 2010

Am 24.05.2010 um 12:30 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez:

> I want to achieve a kind of emphasizing which used in Greek through
> letterspacing.

Then use fontspec's interface!

If you'd change your example to

	\documentclass[10pt]{book}
	\thispagestyle{empty}
	\usepackage[no-math]{fontspec}
	\setmainfont{GFS Didot}
	\usepackage{polyglossia}
	\setdefaultlanguage{english}
	\setotherlanguage[variant=ancient]{greek}
	\usepackage{soul}
	\begin{document}
	This is only a \so{test}.

	“Mind” is the English translation for \foreignlanguage{greek}
{\so{νοῦς}}.

	“Mind” is the English translation for \so{νοῦς}.

	\end{document}

you might see in the LOG file twice:

	Missing character: There is no ν in font ectt1000!
	Missing character: There is no ο in font ectt1000!
	Missing character: There is no ῦ in font ectt1000!
	Missing character: There is no ς in font ectt1000!

To me it's clear from this that soul is not meant to be used with XeTeX.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then
the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.
				– Weinberg's Second Law