[XeTeX] Greek letterspacing with soul

John Was john.was at ntlworld.com
Mon May 24 13:50:42 CEST 2010

Hello

Until someone works out how to fix this in SOUL, you could try the
following.

In your file header give:

\def \littlespace{\kern .1em}

\def \letterspace #1{#1\littlespace\letterspace}

\def \endletterspace \littlespace \letterspace{}

Then to get 10% letter-spaced text give e.g.:

ἡ τοῦ \letteerspace δυνάμει\ ὄντος\ ἐντελέχεια,\ ᾗ\ τοιοῦτον,
κίνησίς\endletterspace\ ἐστιν

Note that you have to give the spaces explicitly with \

This isn't as versatile as SOUL - it won't hyphenate - but it might do until
something better turns up. If you find \letterspace \endlettersrpace too
tedious to type, just give something briefer in the definitions:  e.g.
\def\ls and \def\els

If you want something other than 10% letterspacing, then just change .1em in
the above to whatever you need.

John