[XeTeX] XeLaTeX font options

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Thu May 20 01:49:57 CEST 2010

Hi Mark,

> Alright. When selecting the font, is this enough to make it
> work in
> the document? Or should I use \setmainfont? Is there any
> place where I
> need to add "Mapping=tex-text"? Blame my newbieness for
> not
> understanding better. Sorry. Currently I have added
> \setmainfont at
> the beginning of my document and to switch between fonts I
> am using
> \setromanfont.

I'd say, check the fontspec manual to find out the differences between the various commands. Latex has several "families" of fonts, which are always defined as one, consistent (?) set: roman (upright), slanted, italic, small caps, etc. With \setXXXfont you change the font for only a family, I think, whereas with \fontspec you change everything at once. The problem may then occur that the font you select does not provide all the different families, therefore you can use \setXXXfont.

> Alright, together with the other reactions it sounds safer
> to choose a
> different font. Since it's for academic texts I don't want
> to use a
> font that I haven't the proper license for. I found Linux
> Libertine to
> be a great alternative.

I don't know what type of academic texts you're writing. In my case, its mostly physics and math, so I like to use the Latin Modern font. I know it looks very much "like latex", but one of the strong points is that the math font and the normal font seem well-balanced, so that if you have a \bm{r} in a normal sentence, it doesn't look too out of place. Most latex distributions contain quite a few fonts already. And if you have OpenOffice for instance, you can use those fonts as well in xelatex.

Wilfred