[XeTeX] Emacs

Scot Becker scot.becker at gmail.com
Wed May 19 19:07:09 CEST 2010

An addendum to my last mail about Emacs bidi support.

I spoke a little too soon.  Although the bidi functionality in the
emacs development branch is usable, as I said, and the developers are
keen for feedback and testers, it doesn't fully handle vocalized
Hebrew, since the work on character composition is still in progress.
I hadn't noticed that because something about Unicode Hebrew fonts
actually makes the vowels sit rightly when Hebrew text is set within a
LTR (e.g. English) paragraph.  If, on the other hand, the paragraph
itself is set RTL (i.e. if it starts with Hebrew), the visual
composition provided by the fonts doesn't work, and the vowels appear
to follow the consonants which they should be under or over..

As far as I can tell, this is only a visual problem.  The text is
correctly passed on to , e.g. XeTeX and will be typeset correctly.  Of
course, if you are typesetting unvocalised Hebrew or Hebrew embedded
within LTR paragraphs, you won't usually see the problem.

@Juan, Thanks for alerting us to Easymacs.  It looks like a good
project (though since it hasn't been loved since 2007, it's missed a
few Emacs releases, and might need some updating).

Scot