[XeTeX] XeLaTeX font options

Mark van Dijk m.van.dijk37 at xs4all.nl
Wed May 19 13:09:56 CEST 2010

>> This is a valid warning, but only for non-emphasized (= italic) text.
>> While the warnings are an annoyance at most rather than yielding real
>> problems, I keep wondering: how do I set special options for certain
>> variants of the font, like a Swash option for the Adobe Caslon Pro
>> Italics font? I would prefer to eliminate the many warnings.
>
> Make the font selection more exact (to give you an idea):
>
>  \newfontfamily\cjkfont[ItalicFont=HiraKakuPro-W3,ItalicFeatures={RawFeature=+ital},BoldItalicFont=HiraKakuPro-W6,BoldItalicFeatures={RawFeature=+ital},BoldFont={HiraMinPro-W6}]{HiraMinPro-W3}

Alright. When selecting the font, is this enough to make it work in
the document? Or should I use \setmainfont? Is there any place where I
need to add "Mapping=tex-text"? Blame my newbieness for not
understanding better. Sorry. Currently I have added \setmainfont at
the beginning of my document and to switch between fonts I am using
\setromanfont.

>> As an aside, is there any place where I can find the Hoefler Text font
>> for Linux (or in .otf format)? I think that this serif font has a lot
>> of different options and ligatures and I enjoy to play around with
>> those. Or maybe there are other serif fonts that offer such a wide
>> variety of options? For me it's a good way to learn about font
>> varieties with gorgeous texts as an added bonus.
>
> Get yourself an intel based Mac (to be able to run virtual instances of
> other operating systems) and install Leopard (Tiger is too old, Snow Leopard
> uses a proprietary font format). When running some Solaris, BSD, Linux you
> might be able to use the Hoefler fonts. Maybe it works to copy them from the
> bought Mac OS 10.5.4 (best price) DVD with its install packages. Or just buy
> them, if available.

Alright, together with the other reactions it sounds safer to choose a
different font. Since it's for academic texts I don't want to use a
font that I haven't the proper license for. I found Linux Libertine to
be a great alternative.

Thank you,
- Mark