[XeTeX] Maths font for Adobe Garamond

David Cottenden d.cottenden at ucl.ac.uk
Tue May 18 15:18:06 CEST 2010

José Carlos Santos wrote:
> On 18-05-2010 11:41, Thanos D. Papaïoannou wrote:
>
>> I would like to have a maths font aesthetically compatible with Adobe
>> Garamond to use with XeTeX
>
> This document:
>
> \documentclass[a4paper]{article}
> \usepackage[garamond]{mathdesign}
> \begin{document}
> Did you know that if $x=3^2$ and $y=4^2$, then $x+y=5^2$?
> \end{document}
>
> compiles fine for me (with XeLaTeX).
>
> Best regards,
>
> José Carlos Santos

I think that the point was that that version of Garamond is quite
different from Adobe's - though perhaps it's close enough for this
purpose? As to MathKit, I wondered exactly the same thing a little while
ago and contacted the author. He said that he'd not really used it for
ages (since he'd generated the fonts he wanted) and thus couldn't really
support it. Something else to be aware of is that the files generated
using MathKit fonts are pretty big (for decent res bitmap fonts) and
display pretty badly in many environments. I looked briefly into using
MathKit in conjunction with MetaPost, but there are problems there
(possibly surmountable).

The solution that I eventually went for was to use Euler and scale it
appropriately - I'm happy with this, but I know that it's not everyone's
cup of tea.

Hope that helps,

David