[XeTeX] XeLaTeX font options

Mark van Dijk m.van.dijk37 at xs4all.nl
Tue May 18 08:35:44 CEST 2010

Greetings, list.

I began using XeLaTeX a month ago, as a total newbie, with much
enthusiasm. I have learned a lot but still have an issue I can't work
out. Maybe it's been asked before, if so, then sorry. I did search but
I did not find.

I use the Adobe Caslon Pro in a lot of my texts with this command:

\setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text,Ligatures={Required,Common,Rare},
Numbers={OldStyle}, Contextuals={Swash,WordFinal},
Swashes={Swash}]{Adobe Caslon Pro}

'm getting a lot of warnings like the following when I write
something, and then write \emph{foobar} and then continue writing:

Package fontspec Warning:
    OpenType feature 'Contextuals=Swash' (+cswh) not available
    for font "Adobe Caslon Pro/ICU" at 10.95pt,
    with script 'Latin',
    and language 'Default'.
This warning occured on input line 487.

This is a valid warning, but only for non-emphasized (= italic) text.
While the warnings are an annoyance at most rather than yielding real
problems, I keep wondering: how do I set special options for certain
variants of the font, like a Swash option for the Adobe Caslon Pro
Italics font? I would prefer to eliminate the many warnings. I hope
that I don't need to alter the many \emph commands I am currently
using unless it might be to \textit{foo}.

As an aside, is there any place where I can find the Hoefler Text font
for Linux (or in .otf format)? I think that this serif font has a lot
of different options and ligatures and I enjoy to play around with
those. Or maybe there are other serif fonts that offer such a wide
variety of options? For me it's a good way to learn about font
varieties with gorgeous texts as an added bonus.

Thank you very much,
- Mark