[XeTeX] protrusion for small caps

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Tue May 18 00:37:00 CEST 2010

On 17 May 2010, at 19:15, Robert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems with setting protrusion values for small caps. The following does not give the desired result. Any hints?
>
> \font\x ="Charis SIL:+smcp" \x
> \hsize=11em
> \parindent=0pt
> \XeTeXprotrudechars2
> \lpcode\x U`W = 500 % this works fine,
> % but neither of the following does:
> \lpcode\x U`w = 500

It wouldn't be this; that sets the code for the default glyph of "w", not the small-cap variant.

> \lpcode\x U"1D21 = 500

And it isn't this, because in Charis the small-cap feature does not map "w" to the glyph that's encoded at this Unicode slot, it maps to a separate (though visually identical) glyph. This is for reasons of better PDF searchability, etc.

> \lpcode\x 2310 = 500 % according to Character Palette

I guess that's the same glyph as the previous attempt.

> \lpcode\x /Wsmall = 500 % just guessing

And there's no glyph by that name.

So what *IS* the answer?

Try

  \lpcode \x /w.SC = 500

(looks like it's glyph 3982 in the version of the font I have on hand, but using the name is more robust against future font updates.)

HTH,