[XeTeX] Dotless I and Emph problem

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sun May 9 01:01:44 CEST 2010

Hi Rembrandt, Chris and others,

On 09/05/2010, at 4:12 AM, Rembrandt Wolpert wrote:

> try it without xunicode and fontspec (you don't want those, xltxtra
> loads them automatically), thus:

Yes. This is the way to avoid the problem.

By loading  xunicode  first, followed by  xltxtra ,
you associate a different font-encoding value (U) with
the correct method for getting the Unicode code-point
of the \i (Latin dotless-i : Ux00131 ).

The later loading of  fontspec  then establishes
the font-encoding value of EU1  with the fonts that
you will actually use, resulting in the correct method
becoming inaccessible. Instead it falls back to an OT1
method.

> \documentclass{article}
>
> \usepackage{xltxtra}
> \setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Linux Libertine O}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> F\'{\i}thal
>
> \emph{F\'{\i}thal}
>
> \end{document}

This certainly seems to work OK.
It is also OK to have extra instances of
   \usepackage{fontspec}
   \usepackage{xunicode}
occurring *after*  xtlxtra  has been loaded.

On the other hand, you must avoid having
   \usepackage{xunicode}
*before* the first loading of  fontspec .

> Rembrandt
>

> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 09:54, Chris Yocum <cyocum at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>     I was in the process of moving my thesis over from PDFTeX to
> XeTeX when I noticed a peculiar problem.  When you have a dotless i in
> an emph command, it becomes un-italic.  I am not sure if this is a
> Linux Libertine problem (the font that I am using) or a XeTeX problem
> so I thought that I would start here first.  Below is a minimal
> example.
>
> Thanks in advance and for all the hard work on XeTeX,
> Chris
>
> \documentclass{article}
>
> \usepackage{xunicode}
> \usepackage{xltxtra}
> \usepackage{fontspec}
> \setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Linux Libertine O}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> F\'{\i}thal
>
> \emph{F\'{\i}thal}
>
> \end{document}