[XeTeX] [off-topic] xetex crash in Ubuntu 10.04

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Sat May 8 19:01:35 CEST 2010

On 05/08/2010 02:45 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Sat, 08 May 2010 11:36:30 +0200 schrieb Pablo Rodríguez:
> [...]
>
>> For those Ubuntu users that can confirm the crash, could you mark that
>> this bug also affects to you?
>
> Well sorry, if you are using a texlive version without update
> manager it is up to you to update packages like geometry. You can't
> expect the ubuntu people to keep pace with all the updates on CTAN -
> even if such an update corrects a severe problem in a package.

Thanks, Ulrike, for your reply.

Sorry, I didn't know that Ubuntu was so different from other GNU/Linux
distributions.

I reported the bug in openSUSE and they fixed it. And I reported similar
bugs in Mandriva and I got a reply.

As far as I can understand, packaging involves updating patches that fix
wrongdoings. And TeXLive, if packaged, shouldn't be different.

Of course, you are right, I fixed my problem months ago. Actually I
reported the bug to Hideo Umeki and he wrote the fix.

I reported the bug not to fix my problem, which had been already solved,
but to raise awareness of the problem, so the Ubuntu developers may fix
them.

But bug reporting in Ubuntu seems to be a too complicated process (I
reported two bugs and I won't report any more). My complain isn't not
getting the package update, but getting no reply in almost a week.

I will probably switch to Fedora 13 once it is stable.

> Btw: "crash" in general doesn't refer to a simple latex error like
> the one you get but to a real crash of an application.

You're right again. Crash is too dramatic.

Thanks for your help,

Pablo