[XeTeX] Vertical Japanese in memoir with fontspec

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Fri May 7 20:54:53 CEST 2010

Michiel Kamermans wrote:
> Hi Pander,
>
>> I'm very content with memoir compared to where I started out with
>> article and book. But the main focus is XeLaTeX and fontspec and what
>> needs to be done to fix the outstanding bugs.
>>
>> Looking forward to your reply on the .tex I've sent you.

Wow, thanks. This is very useful.

> Two things - Don't use math mode to emulat macrons when you're using a
> fully unicode aware version of TeX, just use ō and make sure you have a
> font that supports it =) You can even use XeTeX's interchar behaviour to
> make it switch fonts specifically for ō alone (to DejaVu or
> FreeSans/FreeSerif, for instance).

Too bad many fonts do not offer ō, at least fonts that support both
Latin and Japanese. Your example nicely separates these by using
different fonts. In that case I can refrain from using that math workaround.

  Second, I ran in trouble relying on
> ruby for horizontal and vertical guide text. Instead, with the help of
> people on this list, I came up with custom commands for ruby, so the
> attached .tex file has some custom code (which can be tucked away in a
> .sty file of course) for doing both vertical writing and proper furigana
> in both modes.

Very nice. Perhaps this can become a single macro that that will work in
both vertical and horizontal mode. Then it will be a completely robust
implementation. Is this specific to XeLaTeX or fontspec? Where should
this macro be included? The current ruby package or fontspec package?

As I don't have 'Kozuka Mincho Pro R' I cannot contribute more to your
example. What free high quality fonts are out there that support
vertical mode like 'Kozuka Mincho Pro R' does? Is 'Kozuka Mincho Pro R'
free?

Please have a look free-japanese-fonts.pdf which I have assembled. Which
  fonts in that overview do any of you know of, are also of the quality
of 'Kozuka Mincho Pro R'? Is there a way, e.g. with ttx -d /tmp
/usr/share/fonts/blahblahblah.ttf to find this out?

Regards,

Pander