[XeTeX] Building xetex issues?

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Mon May 3 15:02:07 CEST 2010

On 3 May 2010, at 13:47, Stephen Moye wrote:

> I got the microtype version of xetex, and the build process seemed to go well until the very last few lines. Is this a fatal error?

Well, it prevented the compilation finishing, so you got no binary.... that seems fairly fatal! :)

> If so, how do I fix it?
>
> %%==%%
>
> sers/sgm/xetex/texk/web2c/xetexdir/XeTeXLayoutInterface.cpp:867: error: ‘ATSUGetAttribute’ was not declared in this scope
> /Users/sgm/xetex/texk/web2c/xetexdir/XeTeXLayoutInterface.cpp:869: error: ‘FMGetATSFontRefFromFont’ was not declared in this scope
> make: *** [libxetex_a-XeTeXLayoutInterface.o] Error 1
> + ls -l /Users/sgm/xetex/build-xetex/texk/web2c/xetex
> ls: /Users/sgm/xetex/build-xetex/texk/web2c/xetex: No such file or directory

I'm guessing that you're building on a Snow Leopard system, and so the Apple tools are defaulting to a 64-bit build, which is not supported for xetex on OS X.

If that's the case, try the following:

   export SDK_ROOT=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk/
   export CC="gcc-4.0"
   export CXX="g++-4.0"
   sh build-xetex.sh

and see if that works better.