[XeTeX] Diacritics

José Carlos Santos jcsantos at fc.up.pt
Mon May 3 12:26:32 CEST 2010

Hi all,

If I compile this file:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{xunicode}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\begin{document}
\'n
\end{document}

then I get a PDF file which, besides the page number, only contains the
diacritic «ń». That's what I would expect.

However, if I add the line

\setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{DTLUnicoST}

before \begin{document}, then I get a page with only the page number and
the log file says:

Missing character: There is no ń in font DTL Unico ST/ICU:mapping=tex-text,!

Now, I am not surprised by the fact that that specific font doesn't have
that specific character, but shouldn't it be able to create one just by
putting an acute accent over the letter _n_?

Can anyone suggest a way around this problem?

Best regards,

José Carlos Santos