[XeTeX] [texlive] opentype fonts from $TEXMFLOCAL

Diederick C. Niehorster dcnieho at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 04:04:46 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Akira Kakuto <kakuto at fuk.kindai.ac.jp> wrote:
> Hi Diederick,
>
>> I found out now that if I add the directory where the fonts are to
>> C:\texlive\2009\texmf-var\fonts\conf\fonts.conf, all works well (as is
>> suggested in many tutorials).
>
> You can edit fonts.conf. However a better way is:
>
> Please create a file
> C:/texlive/2009/texmf-var/fonts/conf/local.conf
> with the following contents:
>

> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
> <fontconfig>
> <!--
> local.conf
> Additional dirs for fontconfig. Subdirs are searched automatically.
> -->
>
> <dir>c:/texlive/2009/texmf-local/fonts/opentype</dir>
>
> </fontconfig>

Dear All,

Akira's solution is the right way to go, I had soem trouble with
fc-cache not recognizing the path I put in local.conf correctly, but
simply pasting the path from windows explorer into local.conf and
changing all backslashes to forward slashes (though that isnt
necessary I found, but I like consistency) did the trick (even though
visual side-by-side comparison revealed no differences at all!)

IIRC, there have been some reports of trouble with using opentype
fonts through fontspec's external font interface. One might put such
fonts in a directory structure somewhere and tell XeTeX of its
existence by Akira's mechanism, that might fix such issues as you
wouldn't have to use the ExternalFont interface anymore.

Best,
Dee