[XeTeX] [texlive] opentype fonts from $TEXMFLOCAL

Diederick C. Niehorster dcnieho at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 02:24:25 CET 2010

Hi All,

Thank you for all suggestions, let me anser them one by one and then
finish with the solution.

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Vafa Khalighi <vafa at users.berlios.de> wrote:
> Have you done texhash?

No, but it wasn't the solution.

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 7:36 PM, David Cottenden <d.cottenden at ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> [...]

It turns out that fonts don't have to be installed in windows for
xetex to use them, they can be in any other folder, only you'll need
to point XeTeX to them.

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Ulrike Fischer <news3 at nililand.de> wrote:
> Am Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:59:37 +0800 schrieb Diederick C. Niehorster:
>> I ran
>> fc-cache on that folder with the --verbose switch. The first time i
>> run it, it tells me it is caching the fonts in all the subdirectories,
>
> Does "the subdirectories," also include the subdirectories
> \texmf-local\fonts\opentypeOn Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Ulrike Fischer <news3 at nililand.de> wrote:
> Am Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:59:37 +0800 schrieb Diederick C. Niehorster:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Just yesterday I moved from miktex to texlive 2009 (fresh install,
>> fully updated). I'm having trouble with XeTeX not detecting the
>> opentype fonts i put in $TEXMFLOCAL
>> (C:\texlive\texmf-local\fonts\opentype and underlying folders). I ran
>> fc-cache on that folder with the --verbose switch. The first time i
>> run it, it tells me it is caching the fonts in all the subdirectories,
>
> Does "the subdirectories," also include the subdirectories
> \texmf-local\fonts\opentype? Then I would find it odd that xetex
> can't use them.

Yes, all fonts in \texmf-local\fonts\opentype seem to be cached,
however subsequent calls to fc-list and such don't show any of the
fonts, even when the call is made from that directory.

> In miktex fc-cache/xetex use fonts.conf which is one of the trees in
> fontconfig\config. Local directories can be added in
> localfonts.conf.

It appears there is no such local fonts file for texlive, the manual
makes mention of a bunch of other local ones (e.g. updmap-local.cfg).
I'll post to the tex-live list and see if they have better solutions
than mine.

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
> What happens if you clone an unmodified instance of "fonts.conf" to your
> the corresponding location (creating it if necessary) in your TEXMFLOCAL
> tree and then modify that copy ?

Neat idea, but didn't work.

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at web.de> wrote:
> The file's proper name is fonts.conf. [...] It's probably best to find the
> version of the file fc-list/fc-cache are using on your system. Is there a
> xetex/conf directory?
> Then you can add a line to make it find your font files.

Yeah, but that file might get overwritten any time i update, as far as
I understand, making me have to edit them manually every time.

Ok. I came accross this thread in the end, using some keywords
inspired here. http://www.tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2008-November/019261.html

Based on comments in the texmf.cnf file, I edited the texmf.cnf in
texlive/2009, where you should add your local changes only.
first I tried adding my opentype fonts folder to a promising looking
key, but that didn't work:
OPENTYPEFONTS =
.;$TEXMF/fonts/opentype//;$OSFONTDIR//;$TEXMFLOCAL/fonts/opentype
then, I followed the suggestions in the thread and got things to work:
(1) add to texlive/2009/texmf.cnf:
    FONTCONFIG_PATH=$TEXMFLOCAL/fonts/conf
    FC_CACHEDIR=$TEXMFLOCAL/fonts/cache
(2) create the directories:
    $TEXMFLOCAL/fonts/conf
    $TEXMFLOCAL/fonts/cache
(3) copy everything in $TEXMFSYSVAR/fonts/conf/
    to $TEXMFLOCAL/fonts/conf/ and then edit the
    file $TEXMFLOCAL/fonts/conf/fonts.conf to include
    the line <dir>C:/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/opentype</dir>

I am not sure this is the best way to go about it, I don't really like
having a full local copy of fonts.conf, overriding a possibly updated
$TEXMFSYSVAR/fonts/conf/fonts.conf. I would just like to add that one
directory. I'll post on the tex-live list and ask about my solution
and see if there is a better way. If any is found, I'll post back
here.

Thank you for the help!

Dee