[XeTeX] [texlive] opentype fonts from $TEXMFLOCAL

Diederick C. Niehorster dcnieho at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 10:14:00 CET 2010

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply! What you're basically doing that way is using a
windows tool to install the fonts into c:\windows\fonts (btw, you can
just copy your fonts and then paste them into this directory, windows
will install them as well).

Basically, I have a big bunch of fonts I want to play with and I dont
want them all installed in windows, its slow enough as it is. Also,
I'll only need those fonts in XeTeX. I was hoping putting them in the
text tree would do the trick.

I found out now that if I add the directory where the fonts are to
C:\texlive\2009\texmf-var\fonts\conf\fonts.conf, all works well (as is
suggested in many tutorials). So I could stick with that, but was
hoping I could cleanly keep all my manual changes confined to my
$TEXMFLOCAL tree :)

I hope that will help others as well that simply did things the dirty
way after some frustration, if we reach an answer here, google will be
able to find it (except in china)!

Dee