[XeTeX] [texlive] opentype fonts from $TEXMFLOCAL

Diederick C. Niehorster dcnieho at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 06:59:37 CET 2010

Hi All,

Just yesterday I moved from miktex to texlive 2009 (fresh install,
fully updated). I'm having trouble with XeTeX not detecting the
opentype fonts i put in $TEXMFLOCAL
(C:\texlive\texmf-local\fonts\opentype and underlying folders). I ran
fc-cache on that folder with the --verbose switch. The first time i
run it, it tells me it is caching the fonts in all the subdirectories,
the second time it tells me it is skipping them as they are already in
the cache, so that seems to have worked correctly. However, when I run
"fc-list > fc.log" and search in that text file (no grep on windows
for as far as i know) I find no references to the fonts that were just
cached. XeLaTeX aborts with the following error:
----
kpathsea: Invalid fontname `Arno Pro', contains ' '

! Font \zf at basefont="Arno Pro" at 10.0pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file or ins
talled font not found.
\zf at fontspec ...ntname \zf at suffix " at \f at size pt
                                                  \unless \ifzf at icu \zf at set@...
l.103 \setromanfont[Ligatures=Common]{Arno Pro}
----
This must be some basic mistake, but after 2 hours of googling, I have
decided to ask it on the list here. I'd like to keep my fonts in
$TEXMFLOCAL so they stay with updates (hope I understood that
correctly) and I'll only want to use them from XeTeX.

What's the trick?

Best and thanks,
Dee