[XeTeX] EuroTeX 2009 proceedings

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Mar 20 00:30:54 CET 2010

Am 19.03.2010 um 20:39 schrieb Apostolos Syropoulos:

> I found
> particularly interesting the work that Taco Hoekwater is doing---he
> transforms
> part of the WEB2C codebase to C so to liberate TeX et a. from the
> Pascal
> codebase.

I wouldn't describe it that way...

Web2C is a 20 years old C programme (or TeX binaries distribution)
which translates code from the programming language WEB to the
programming language C. Therefore even XeTeX is based on CHange patch
files to the original WEB code of TeX.

Donald Knuth's original tangle programme, also written in WEB,
extracts the Pascal sources embedded in WEB (weave extracts the
embedded TeX documentation), so they could be compiled by the popular
Pascal compilers (also whole operating systems were then written in
Pascal).

Taco Hoekwater created patches integrated C sources as code base for
LuaTeX.

PdfTeX, Omega, XeTeX are still WEB based. And presumingly they'll stay
so.

--
Greetings

   Pete

I hope to die before I *have* to use Microsoft Word.
			- Donald E. Knuth, 2001-10-02 in Tübingen