[XeTeX] EuroTeX 2009 proceedings

David Perry hospes.primus at verizon.net
Sat Mar 20 00:13:41 CET 2010

As a relative newcomer to the TeX world, I have been surprised by the
lack of interest in Unicode (which means, at this point in time,
Xe(La)TeX).  When I started learning TeX, I could find only one editor,
TeXworks, that was Unicode-aware.  And that is still the case, although
I see that TeXnicCenter has now rolled out an alpha version of a new,
Unicode-based edition of their software.  I guess if one only needs to
use western European languages Unicode is not so important, but still .
. . Mac OS X has been out for ten years, Windows went to Unicode 15
years or more ago.  Not to mention being unable to use all the fonts on
one's system without jumping through hoops.  I got annoyed 25 years ago
when I had to install each font separately into a printer driver, and I
absolutely refuse to go back to that sort of thing.  Seems like folks
should get with the times.

Or perhaps I shouldn't be surprised.  After all, I still get questions
from people who want to keep using WordPerfect in a Unicode-based world.

Like Apostolos, I would encourage people to publicize what they are
doing with Xe(La)TeX.

David