[XeTeX] Diameter symbol

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Mar 15 16:14:54 CET 2010

Am 15.03.2010 um 15:01 schrieb David Cottenden:

>> Or are you looking for EMPTY SET, ∅, at U+2205? DIAMETER SIGN,
>> ⌀, is at U+2300.
> The latter is the one that I am after, but I know that my main body
> font doesn't include it. Is there a decent font which does? I'm
> looking to match with Chaparral Pro, if that's possible.

You could construct one from other glyphs in your darling font! (By
using o, O, or 0 at one size and / or FRACTION SLASH ⁄, U+2044, or
DIVISION SLASH ∕, U+2215, at another size at different height and
some negative kerning between them.)

On Linux you could use, I think, GNUcharmap to check particular glyphs
of the fonts you have. Once you've one, you can:

	\newfontfamily{\my_DIAMETER_font}{your font's name}
	\catcode"2205=\active
	\def⌀{{\ my_DIAMETER_font\char"2205}}

and then use in the text the symbol ⌀ and it will be set in that font.

BTW, some elderly LaTeX packages which handle special symbols, cannot
be used (easily) in XeTeX because they use rather strange and non-
Unicode fonts. Unicode encoded fonts are best suited for XeTeX.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Globalisation – communism from above.