[XeTeX] Automatic Verse Numbers

Anant Upadhyayula uanant at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 11 19:19:47 CET 2010

Hello Everyone
 in Latex the verse are written in this format
\begin{verse{
          This is line one of verse ........\\
  Line two of the verse .............\\ Chap1.1

          This is line one of verse ........\\
  Line two of the verse .............\\ Chap1.2
\end {verse}

I was wondering how can I put a automatic counter at the end of each verse, linked to the chapter so that as I can add verses to a particular chapter it would increase it by one. Something like the one shown above.

Is it something that can be done or far fetched thing? I tried \begin{enumerate} ... \end{enumerate} that did not work.

I would appreciate your help.
-Anant