[XeTeX] Current state of CJK support

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Mar 8 02:29:10 CET 2010

On 08/03/2010, at 10:09 AM, Wilfred van Rooijen wrote:

> Hello Gerrit,
>
> I am not an expert, rather a casual user of CJK in xelatex. But
> since there do not seem to be many answers to your question, let's
> try to get the discussion going.

>> 6. kinsoku shori
>> Is it possible to define certain levels of forbidden
>> characters? E.g. do not start a line with ょ, or at some
>> other level be allowed to start the line with ょ.
>
> I don't know. Such a thing would seem un-TeX to me: it is up to the
> user, not the software, to make sure the content is "valid".

Why is this un-TeX ?
If it is definable then it should be programmable in TeX.

There is a TeX command  \nobreak  which is meant to bias against
a linebreak occurring at the point where it occurs in the input.
It ought to be possible to use  \XeTeXinterchartoks  to insert
  \nobreak  immediately before a given character, within a
specified context.

Indeed the whole TeX concept of  \penalty  is to allow you to bias the
line-breaking and page-breaking algorithms, so as to achieve whatever
you want, whilst letting TeX do the heavy work of optimising details
of the visual appearance of your pages.

> Cheerio,
> Wilfred

Hope this helps,