[XeTeX] Small caps

Gérard Degrez gdegrez at ulb.ac.be
Wed Mar 3 15:50:46 CET 2010

Hello,

I've just begun experimenting with Xetex on MacOS. Everything works
fine, except that I can't get small caps with some of the System fonts
such as Arial and Times New Roman. On the other hand, I do get the
small caps with Hoefler Text or with the TeX Gyre fonts.
I guess that the reason is that the system fonts do not include small
caps. Can you confirm?
Then, the question is: how can I know beforehand?
I browsed the list archive and found the thread [XeTeX] problem
getting small caps dating back to Nov. 2009 and I tried some of the
suggestions (the otfinfo command, and the tex file by Herb Schultz),
but this wasn't conclusive.

TIA,

Gérard