[XeTeX] escaping the pipe

Wilfred van Rooijen wvanrooijen at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 3 06:47:53 CET 2010

Please note the following: when using math, it can be beneficial to use the \left and \right for opening/closing braces, brackets, curlies, what have you. The \left and \right versions will automatically shrink and grow to the size of the enclosed material. See the following (extreme) example.

Wilfred

\documentclass[11pt,a4paper,oneside,draft,article]{memoir}
\usepackage{amsmath}

%
\begin{document}

\begin{equation}
  \lbrace \frac{\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}}{\sqrt[3]{\frac{3}{4}}} \rbrace, \quad
  \left\lbrace \frac{\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}}}{\sqrt[3]{\frac{3}{4}}} \right\rbrace
\end{equation}

\end{document}