[XeTeX] escaping the pipe

maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Wed Mar 3 02:22:40 CET 2010

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 19:00:14 -0600, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com>
wrote:
> What monospace font are you using?
>
> I've go no problem using the Monaco font on a Mac:
>
> \documentclass{article}
>
> \usepackage{xltxtra}
> \setmonofont[Scale=MatchLowercase]{Monaco}
>
> \usepackage{alltt}
>
> \begin{document}
> \begin{alltt}
> a \{b|c\} d
> \end{alltt}
> \end{document}

I'm using the Deja Vu Sans Mono.  But you're right, with just a plain char
to the left of the pipe, I'm not getting this.  But I do get the pipe
overwriting the previous character if that character consists of a base
char + the Unicode combining macron (U+304).  I was so sure that couldn't
be the problem that I didn't try it without the macron.

So here's a minimal example that results in the pipe over-striking the 'a'
+ macron:

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage{xltxtra}
\setmonofont[Scale=MatchLowercase]{DejaVu Sans Mono}

\usepackage{alltt}

\begin{document}
\begin{alltt}
a \{ā|c\} d
\end{alltt}
\end{document}

Hmm, this is showing up oddly in my browser, too.  The characters to the
right of the escaped open curly brace are: 'a' 'combining macron' 'pipe'.

I just now tried inserting a ZWSP between the macron and the pipe, and
things only got worse... guess I'll try some more experiments.

   Mike Maxwell