[XeTeX] escaping the pipe

maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Wed Mar 3 01:46:30 CET 2010

This has to be simple, but nothing I've tried works, and I can't seem to
find any ideas on-line...

I want to output something like
   a {b|c} d
from XeLaTeX.  I've managed to get part way there by escaping the curly
braces in the input, but I can't figure out how to escape the pipe
character.  That is, if I try
   a \{a|b\} d
(i.e. without escaping the pipe), then the pipe overwrites the 'a' to its
left.  Or if I try
   a \{a\|b\} d
then XeLaTeX apparently tries to interpret the pipe character as a
command, which of course it doesn't know how to do.  I even tried
   a \{a\\|b\} d
in which case the pipe looks right, but I get a newline immediately after:
   a {b|
c} d

I don't think it matters, but this is inside a \begin{alltt} environment.

Surely there's an easy way to do this?

   Mike Maxwell