[XeTeX] XETEX and Lilypond

Raphael Frey freyraphael at lavabit.com
Mon Mar 1 10:56:38 CET 2010

Dear Fr. Michael,

I’m afraid, I wanted to write you back yesterday evening but I had some
problem with sending mails to this list. I hope this problems are solved
now.

Am Sonntag, den 28.02.2010, 15:23 -0500 schrieb Fr. Michael Gilmary:

> Hi Raphael:
>
> Here's a sample of your original = document.tex with a couple changes
> (using the ifxetex package, etc --- change the fonts to suit your
> needs). Also attached is an engine you can run via TeXShop if you're on
> Mac (copy it to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/ and it should appear in the
> drop down box for engines ... or you can use the preliminary %!TEX
> TS-program =  Lilypond-XeLaTeX line as in the included file). Otherwise,
> just use the lilypond-book as you have learned and it will do as you need.

lilypond-book now works without problems. (I’m a GNU/Linux user so I
can’t use your TEX Shop script.) Unfortunately xelatex aborts displaying
following error message:

        raphael at debian-laptop:~/Desktop/out$ xelatex music.tex
        This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.996-patch2 (Web2C 7.5.6)
         %&-line parsing enabled.
        entering extended mode
        (./music.tex
        LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
        Babel <v3.8h> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax, dumylang, noh
        yphenation, german, ngerman, loaded.
        (/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/memoir/memoir.cls
        Document Class: memoir 2005/09/25 v1.618 configurable document class
        (/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/memoir/mem11.clo)
        (/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/memoir/mempatch.sty))
        (/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/generic/ifxetex/ifxetex.sty)
        (/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/xelatex/fontspec/fontspec.sty

        ! LaTeX Error: Unknown option `no-math' for package `fontspec'.

        Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

        l.50 \ProcessOptions*

        ?

Do you have any idea what’s going wrong?

Am Sonntag, den 28.02.2010, 19:19 -0500 schrieb Fr. Michael Gilmary:

> Of course, I forgot to mention that the (Xe)LaTeX preamble is covered in
> the Lilypond Learning Manual in the Templates section.

Thanks for this advice. I didn’t know there was a XE(LA)TEX section in
the Lilypond manual because I am using Lilypond 2.10.33 (the version
included in Debian GNU/Linux stable) and in the manual of this prior
version there is no XE(LA)TEX section.

Am Sonntag, den 28.02.2010, 19:47 -0500 schrieb Fr. Michael Gilmary:

> And I've forgotten *twice* now to say that you need not use a "header"
> document. If you're at the command line, just use lilypond-book with the
> various options you had and the preamble with ifxetex specs will work
> fine.

This was clear even though you have forgotten to mention it first. =)

Thank you for helping me and best regards

Raphael